October 06, 2017

TRENCH RUNNER REVIEW: “Damaged” - Weathered & Worn Models Magazine Premier Issue

Direct from São Paulo, Brazil our resident reference geek Julian Conde takes a look at the premier issue of “Damaged” - Weathered & Worn Models Magazine
You can order Damaged magazine from MTSC HERE
This is the first issue of a new magazine published by AK Interactive and Abteilung 502, called “Damaged”. We can see by it’s name that the main focus is weathering and scale damage on models, being scratches on paint to actual bent parts. I as you should know by now, I love magazines and reading material. This new magazine focuses on the part I love the most on my builds, the weathering. But Damaged covers all genres of modeling, like sci-fi, cars, civilian machines, etc. I like to see all kinds of examples for weathering. There’s a fair amount of specialized publications on just military, cars, planes, etc, so it’s good to see a magazine covering all areas of our model making hobby. Let’s take a deeper look…

The cover shows some great examples for all tastes, a forklift (little gem of a model), a Sci-fi Snow Speeder and THE MOST GLORIOUS CAR EVER BUILT : The Mad Max Interceptor. Actually a Ford XB Falcon 1973 modified for the movie. More on this SEXY RIDE later on…(you can see I have a thing for this vehicle…)

The printing and photos are top notch. Very nice feel to it, and the magazine stays flat open on the table, one thing I love to see in modeling publications, so we can have it on our workbench without having to secure it open. This should be reference material and as one, should be easy to manipulate while we are working with it. This magazine is published by Abteilung’s 502, a great Spanish manufacturer of oil paints, pigments, and high end modeling stuff. I'll be doing some reviews of their line of oil paints in the near future…


So, some fine examples of ultra-realistic effects, just loved the work on this forklift. You see, the example is not a common topic, but we can use this same technique on our military trucks, tanks, bulldozers and cranes. It’s just nice to see it in a exotic example...



For you sci-fi-fi guys, some great work on a Star Wars Snow Speeder. I’m not a huge fan of Star Wars or Star Trek, Babylon 5 and such stuff, but I have my share of passion for Alien’s series of ships like the Sulaco, Nostromo, Auriga, and have these in my stash to build. Just did a Aliens APC from the movie. Old timer kit from Halcyon….I Hope to live long enough to see kits for the new Prometheus and Covenant ships...


Here a fine example of seaplane weathering. I loved the work on the wing's fabric, it’s a civilian plane but someday I want to build a Wingnut Wings WWI plane and will need a technique like this one. Those planes are gems and should be made with our best knowledge of the techniques. Great example, that we can use as reference on all kinds of planes...


Some more examples of great wood weathering, using AK Interactive's Old & Weathered Wood paint set. I loved the result, and really like these series paint sets for AK to use on tools, tires, tracks, wood, etc...


Next up we have a crazy builder example. Some severe scratch built sci-fi locomotive. This is just jaw-dropping. I wish I had these skills. Maybe this is one of the examples a model so detailed that it shouldn't even be painted just to admire the intense scratch building involved. It’s like looking at those amazing models in Tony Greenland’s books. They look just as amazing unpainted as they do painted...


Here we have a great diorama for a scene in Chernobyl’s Pripyat today. This is a great idea, I am a fan of radioactive materials and nuclear powered stuff (I have to buy some smoke detector’s to retrieve the radioactive americium-241 and play with it. Read “The Radioactive Boyscout” book from Ken Silverstein and you get a picture of me as a teen)...


This diorama is quite accurate as we can see from a real photo below...


Now….to the most amazing vehicle ever built!! The Mad Max Movie car - Ford XB Falcon 1973 - Interceptor !!! Last of the V8’s...


I love this car, the movie, the Weiand Blower, the noise…everything. I am one of those geeky fans that gets onto forums and late night chats talking about how a scene was made (particularly the one scene where Max reverses the car at top speed, and the wheels begin rolling back while going forward. There are actual idiots who tried to replicate this scene with their cars and blew axles and transmissions. Funny to see! I also tried to visit the actual car in the "Car of the Stars" Museum in London a couple of times but it is too far from downtown London where I stayed...Like $900,00 UK Pounds by cab.

So, we have this fine example of the Aoshima 1/24th scale kit of the car from the second movie, I have this kit and will convert it to the first model, from the original movie. It has a front bumper all the way down, no extra fuel tanks and some other specs. This kit example is very well weathered and gave me the sparks to begin mine. LOVED this.

To wrap up, a very unusual example of a vignette that uses LED lights to light up the model, in this case a TV. This is a fine example of wiring and LED application, with some schematics that we can use on a sci-fi, submarines, etc. It’s very realistic if done well and it does give live to some models. Just be careful not to build a Barbie house...


Conclusion: Really liked  this new publication. I like the fact that it has examples from all around our modeling universe, Planes, Trains and Automobiles (no movie pun intended…). Of course we like some reference magazines and books to be specific on a subject like tires, engines. etc, but we are saturated with a ton of those nowadays. We have so much around, that it’s good to see just fine modeling examples in a magazine. Casual reading and very nice photos, very few pages of advertising...I will keep this one close to force me to build my Mad Max Interceptor. I recommend this to all modelers looking for great weathering and damaged inspiration. Go for it, number 2 is already out and I'm waiting on my copy now. I'm guessing the drooling will start again upon it's arrival!
JC September 2017
Order Damaged magazine from MTSC HERE

SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave
Save

No comments:

Post a Comment