August 11, 2017

FRIDAY'S WITH FARLEY: Painters & Scalecolor by Scale75

For this installment of FWF I thought I try something different...here at MichToy, Scale75's Scalecolor individual bottles have been available for a while now so I thought it would be a good idea to talk to several local painters who have been using the range and what they think of it. 

Nathan Hutchison
Commission painter
Contact him at theforgottenturtle.com

What kind of stuff do you normally paint?
I normally paint Fantasy models, primarily 28-54mm. I’m not a huge fan of sci-fi stuff. I tend to prefer models with more natural elements. I’m currently working on an entry for the Crystal Brush competition.

What other paints do you use?
I used to use a little of everything; Citadel, Vallejo, Reaper, Andrea etc. Now I primarily use Reaper and Scale75 with the occasional Andrea paint thrown in.

Why do you like Scale75 paints?
There’s a lot that makes Scalecolor a great paint. The main range has a lot of great natural tones that work well with each other. The metallic paints are by far the best metallic paint I’ve used. The metal flake is ground very fine with the pigment resulting in a realistic looking metal. No disco ball effect here. The fantasy and games range has some really rich colors. I think Scalecolor has the best color range right out of the bottle, with great coverage.

What kind of painting do you recommend them for?
These paints are primarily geared towards fantasy painters. There are a lot of colors that will work for all kinds of subjects but the range has a lot of bright vibrant colors that are a little more suited for fantasy or sci-fi painting.

Where does this range fit on your workbench?
As I mentioned earlier, I mostly use Reaper and Scalecolor now. I think the paints are great but I don’t know that you'd necessarily want to replace your existing paint collection until you get used to the way the paint behaves. If I was recommending a paint for someone who didn't have an existing collection it would be Scalecolor all the way. The metallics deserve a spot on everyone’s paint desk.

Anything people should be aware of when they try the paint?
You really need to shake these paints. They tend to separate a bit and really need to be mixed back up. I have to say the paint has a bit of a learning curve. It can separate or dry too quickly on the palette. However, it yields beautiful results. Once I become more comfortable with S75, then it will be as big of a staple as Reaper is, for me.

Charles Oldaugh
Commission painter
Contact him at Weekendgeneral.blogspot.com 

What kind of stuff do you normally paint?
Lately I’ve been painting Steam Punk figures. I’ve always got some sort of wargame figure on the bench, whether it’s fantasy or historical. Occasional I work on larger scale figures and busts.

What other paints do you use?
I mostly use Vallejo Game Color and Game Air. I also use Model Color and Citadel paints from time to time and recently I have been using Scalecolor more and more.

Why do you like Scale75 paints?
Off the bat, Color saturation. You just don’t find such vibrant colors in most lines. The other big consideration for me is that they are usable for brush or airbrush. There’s no need to worry about matching colors as you switch back forth. Which is great beacuse I use the airbrush so much. I like the inks a lot too. 
They claim to have very fine pigment grind, so they should run through airbrush well. As someone who uses and airbrush on almost every model I paint I’m really happy with how they spray after a bit of thinning. 

What kind of painting do you recommend them for?
They’re awesome layer paints. They tend to be more transparent than Vallejo so layer blending and building up colors is a lot easier. They also drybrush surprisingly well.

Where does this range fit on your workbench?
Everywhere. I really like their model of “history meet legend”. As someone who approaches this from art standpoint instead of a historically accurate standpoint this will probably be my main paint brand. I’ve already started to pick up most of the range and will probably use it as my main paint brand. 

Anything people should be aware of when they try the paint?
These paints handle a little different than most. Learning to switch between Citadel and Vallejo was easy. These paints definitely a little bit of a learning curve but in exchange they have more potential for higher finished quality. 

Pete Macmillan
Pete has worked here at Michigan Toy Soldier for 20 long years...

What kind of stuff do you normally paint?
Miniatures, 28mm and 54mm and 200mm. I paint mostly historical stuff but I do the occasional fantasy figure too.

What other paints do you use?
The main paint ranges I use are Andrea and Vallejo and now Scalecolor.

Why do you like Scale75 paints?
I really like the fact that the paint thins out really well but you still get great coverage. It's what sold me on them. The paints are super vibrant and dry dead flat too.

What kind of painting do you recommend them for?
Pretty much all kinds of painting. I wouldn’t recommend them for any specific uses because so far they’re great for everything. They’re suitable for any application. I haven’t really found a limitation to the paint yet in terms of techniques. It’s a good layer or base paint and it drybrushes just fine.

Where does this range fit on your workbench?
Front and center! All the paints I’ve used from the range so far have been good. Haven’t has a chance to use their inks yet but metallics are great. The metallics are brushable with a much wider range of colors than most.

Anything people should be aware of when they try the paint?
If they sit for a while you have to really really shake them because they’ll separate. If you use them regularly they’re usually ok but if they sit for a while, shake them. They don’t react to being cold well but that’s acrylics for you.

So there you have it. These paints make a great addition to anyones workbench and are a must have. Scale 75 offers a wide range of versatile, vibrant colors useful for any kind of painter.

No comments:

Post a Comment