November 18, 2016

Trench Runner Charles Oldaugh: 1 Hour Tank Weathering Using the Vallejo Weathering Effects Range

Charles Oldaugh checks in with a quick (less than 1 hour), down and dirty guide to weathering a Bolt Action tank...

 Since I started playing Bolt Action, I had to start painting larger armour than I previously had. I prefer a well campaigned tank to a shiny one, so the new Vallejo Weathering Effects got my attention. With over 20 different effects, it is pretty easy to go overboard with the weathering, so we are only going to use 5 of them. Choose the effects that fit the terrain where your tank will be fighting and you can’t go wrong. 


Light Brown Splatter Mud, Rainmarks, Oil Stains, Petrol Stains, Mud and Grass
Step 1: We will start with a painted tank. Make sure you have all of the tank markings in place as well. I have also sponged on some battle damage. When you are happy with the paint, seal it with a clear coat and we can start the weathering. Most of the weathering products have a glossy appearance, so I used a Matte Varnish on the tank to increase the contrast. 

Step 2: I started the weathering with the Splash Mud. You can apply it in 2 different ways. The first is by loading a brush up with the mud and flicking it at the model. To utilize an airbrush, load up a paint brush and spray the brush with bursts of air from the airbrush.  I used both methods on this model, but I found that I had more control with a toothbrush.



Step 3: Next I added rain streaking to the tank. This is the most laborious of the weathering processes. I used 3 different sized brushes to add variety to the streaking. Make sure that you don’t make a pattern with the streaks.



Step 4: Using the Oil Stain, I put a wash and some spills around all of the hinges and hatches and other moving parts. You can use a fine brush to turn some of the spills into streaks as well. 



Step 5: To add fuel stains, first find out whether the tank you are painting used diesel or petrol. Once you have established that, make sure you know where the fuel cap is on the tank, you don’t want to add fuel stains where they don’t belong. The Sherman V still had a petrol engine, so I added some Petrol Stains around the fuel caps and the jerry can. 


Step 6: The last bit of weathering will be mud texture. This product is a combination of mud and static grass that looks quite convincing. Dipping a brush into the bottle doesn’t do much good here. The best method I found was to place a blob of the material on the tank and then work it out from there. 



Finished: In less than an hour the tank went from a factory finish to a battle hardened veteran. I really like the effects that these effects produced, and best of all, they are water soluble. This is a great product line. I can’t wait to use it on my next tank. 


Charles Oldaugh
2016

SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment