May 06, 2016

Meet our Newest Trench Runner Charles Oldaugh

Charles joins our merry band of Trench Runners and has graciously offered to write about all things painting figures, building dioramas, gaming and whatever else strikes his fancy. He operates his own miniature painting service and is available for commissioned work via his blog www.weekendgeneral.blogspot.comIn his first article for us he makes the jump from his standard 28mm scale work right into 1/35th scale with an article on how he built the WWI Master Box 1/35th scale Hand-to-Hand FightI'm quite excited to have Charles on board and plan on exploiting his talents in many different directions to the benefit of budding modelers everywhere!

MTSC Trench Runner Bio

Tell us a little about yourself? background, your real job, family etc?
When I am not painting models or making them fight each other, I am running my small carpentry business or taking orders from my wife.

How & when did you first get into the hobby?
I got my first taste of miniature painting when I decided to paint up all of the heroes for our weekly Dungeons and Dragons game when I was in my early 20s. I got serious about miniature painting about 6 years ago when I started playing Warmachines. My interest in models, figures, and dioramas is quite new.


What aspects of the hobby appeal to you the most? What are your main interests?
I enjoy painting and modelling as a means of constantly challenging myself and improving my skills. In the past year I have been teaching classes on figure painting, and find it quite rewarding.
Wargaming is a wonderful blend of strategy, history, and comradery, all things that I value.

What are your other interests beside this hobby?
Aside from gaming and modelling I enjoy woodworking and carving with old hand tools. My interest in story telling has also led me into writing. So far I have written, illustrated, and published one children’s book, with several more on the way.

What are some of your favorite web sites?
I am constantly looking for new things to paint. So aside from Michigan Toy Soldier…

Do you post on  about your hobbies on Facebook or any other social media outlets
 
You can follow my painting and modelling at:
Things I subscribe to:
I like to watch and read as much about painting as I can, so I subscribe to several you tube channels:
Dr. Faust’s Painting Clinic
Artmaster Studio
The Scenic Factory
Buy Painted
Next Level Painting


Any advice for someone new to hobbies?
Every time I teach a painting class I have to tell people to be patient. It takes years of practice to build up these skills, so don’t get discouraged when a model doesn’t look as good as the box picture.
A further note is to buy good paint, brushes, and models. You will never get the best results with poor tools. In the end you will end up wasting time and money and have nothing to show for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment